Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How to Pack for a Long Trip

I began packing tonight for a ten day trip to Europe (lucky me!). Packing for this trip is particularly challenging due to the schizophrenic spring weather. My fingers are crossed that Germany, Czech Republic, and Slovakia are all slightly warmer and dryer than Milwaukee, but I still have to plan for a damp 35 degrees as well as a humid 75 degrees.

I have a theory on how to pack for long trips (longer than seven days). First, I literally pull out every item I might want to bring with me. Shoes, pants, shirts, sweaters, work-out gear, belts, everything.



Above you will see all the shoes and clothes I pulled out. I then sorted into piles; must take, want to take, and can live without. Once sorted, I start filling my suitcase with the must take pile. Then I evaluate. Is there room left?



Sadly, no. My full suitcase, above, did not include anything from my want to take pile. I realized I will probably need to leave my gray blazer (a recommendation from the sister), tiny jean shorts, and white capri jeans at home. At this point, I also realized I didn't pack any underwear. Since the chance of anyone commenting on my wrinkled panties is low, I just stuffed them in the corners.



I usually try to set aside my travel outfit separately from the suitcase pile. Now I know my favorite striped cardi will be with me on the plane. I just must remember to grab my scarf on the way out the door so I won't be mistaken for an American tourist.



Above are the clothes that didn't make it into the suitcase. Since they will miss out on all the fun in Europe, I'm letting them enjoy the company of my comforter for the evening. I have to admit, I'm not satisfied that I have everything I will want while traveling. I will, however, have access to my sister's closet in case of a fashion emergency.

I plan to post street style photos from my travels while away - so check back over the next two weeks for fashionable looks from Eastern Europe.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

That is such an organized way of packing! Great tips! Have fun in Europe!

<3
Sandy
http://www.myfairlady247.com

Tina Colada said...

The same thing happens with me...everytime I pack for a trip...somehow I am so much in love with my complete wardrobe...that it feels like a loss to leave even a single piece behind!!!

unfortunately, you cant always take everything...:) wish I was a celebrity...then I would be able to carry a whole brigade for my wardrobe....in a private jet....LOL
heheheeee

http://stylescribbles.blogspot.com/