Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bernice in Berlin with a Scarf

In preparation for my upcoming trip to Berlin, my obliging sister agreed to contribute to the blog and simultaneously help me pack. She used her keen observational skills to pick out hot street styles in her town. Naturally, it is important I be as equally stylish in Berlin as I am here in Milwaukee. God forbid someone could identify me as a tourist. (Tracy, remember when the sunglasses salesperson thought we were local New Yorkers? We were so proud!)

The sister says scarves. Everywhere in Berlin. Patterned and light purple. I have plenty to choose from - but which to pick. It would probably be best if I brought options, right?
The sister also says that I should be prepared for fashionable women to wear black tights under tiny jean shorts...and a scarf. Sadly, the week I have left before I head to Berlin is not enough time to mentally psyche myself up for this look, clearly borrowed from the Man Repeller. While I can not promise to bring this Euro-trend home with me, I promise to find an original and post it as evidence. (I will actually be attempting to post European edition street style while on vacation.)

The sister says that the chicest Germans are layering like they are running out of closet space. Always including a scarf. But also including button down shirts in small patterns and cardigans or blazers with three-quarter length sleeves. Jeans are of the skinny or boyfriend variety. Shoes are ballet flats and open-toed booties. Here is a great example of this look from 'Rough around the Edges' on Fashion Blanket:



I'm comfortable with these guidelines. I have a great gray blazer I can throw in my suitcase, black ballet flats which will be comfortable while I try not to look like a tourist, and a closet full of scarves. I might even try to wrestle my cleavage into a button down shirt. A special thanks to my sister for providing me with Bernice-worthy Berlin style suggestions. I promise to diligently plan my wardrobe so that I look like I, "just threw this outfit together but still look incredibly stylish...with a scarf." Later this week I will be posting my large trip packing theory, so stay tuned to see what makes it on the plane with me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cute scarf :)


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

ChiTown Fashionista said...

I love Europe! Have fun for meeeeee!

luxurygirl said...

There are a lot of style scarfs here