Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2011 Hat Obsession - the Fedora

I love hats. About once a month, I sadly reflect on why I was not born into an era where the hat was a mandatory staple. Hats can add an element of glamour, sophistication or fun to any outfit. And here in Milwaukee, they are virtually necessary for five months. There are a surprising amount of hat options available, even after the winter wool caps have been stuffed into the back of the closet.
This spring I must have a fedora. A fedora will serve at least two purposes here in WI. Not only will it keep you warm until winter (fingers crossed for June), but it will make any boring outfit look sharp and pulled together. My challenge, while searching for the perfect fedora, was to find one that will travel well. Possibly even scrunch up into a corner of a suitcase without suffering permanent damage. I'm also conscious of not breaking the bank on this purchase. It is just a trend after all. Before you can say Hypercolor it will disappear with the rest of the menswear-inspired items currently waltzing around Manhattan and LA.

How exactly do I plan to wear this fedora? I'm here to share. First, my pathetically thin hair results in the occasional scalp sunburn and resulting (horrifying) skin-peeling dandruff. If I'm going to be in the sun and want to wear my hair down, a fedora will keep me perfectly protected. I expect to wear it with straight or skinny jeans and long t-shirts while visiting churches and markets in Prague this spring.

I plan to wear it with tailored shorts, gladiator sandals, and tank tops to summer festivals. Perfect example, Ashley Tisdale below (not my photo, please credit appropriate paparazzi).

I will throw it on with a sundress before heading out to Jazz-in-the-Park. I might use it as a baseball cap alternative while golfing. I will even attempt to use a fedora to add an edge to a sweater set and capri combination for a family picnic. Check out Ashley Green's street style below (photo again by Ashley seeking pap, not me).


I happen to find a great version at Urban Outfitters for under $20. I saw equally cute options at Target and tons of ideas at ShopStyle.com. Will you sport a fedora this year? What type of hat will you wear?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing! I was thinking about getting a hat for Europe. You've sold me on what style to invest in.

Can I just say, I am loving this blog!

Pamela said...

I bought a cute fedora last year at Target from the Eugenia Kim collaboration. I love you style ideas. I think it's perfect to wear to all the fun festivals here in Milwaukee! The hat and some cute sunglasses are great accessories for these casual events.

Erin said...

I've been telling Mike to get a fedora for awhile now...Love them on guys!

Unknown said...

i love the fedora too, i have been looking for a great black one!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Erin May said...

Ha great! They are EVERYWHERE right now :) and I am totally a hat person! so I love more options!